Background

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fun Fieldtrip

Parker had a fun field trip today.  We walked from the school along the walking paths to the Daughters of Utah Pioneer Museum.  I loved that we only walked a little ways but when we got there the kids were sprawled on the grass like we had marched them for miles.  I loved looking at the the special items and watching Parker get excited about the pictures of his ancestors on the walls.
Parker standing directly under his Great, Great, Great Grandfather and Great, Great, Great Grandmother picture Henry Holyoak & Sarah Ann Robinson.  Who came to Moab via the Hole in the Rock trail.


Parker in front of the oldest building in Moab.

This the Sadie Warner the Art Director of the Moab News Paper, the Times Independent.  I went to school with Sadie and it was so fun to go and see what she does for a living, and does passionately!  She loves her work!  Thanks for sharing Sadie.

Parker eating lunch with his buddies at the Moab visitor center where you can watch a fine movie, or take a short nap!  I will miss it when I go on a field trip and he is too old to hang out with me and offer me his totally squished orange, or hold my hand (ya I will miss that!)  Don't get to big to fast okay! 
We then went to the Rotary Park to play for a while, and then on to the Moab Youth Garden, okay you may want to skip to the end now!  We went to the Youth Garden with a class of 2nd Graders who have spent the day walking and being so good.  We were there at our appointed time, and not a single youth garden worker was there!  Really can I just say "government funded program"!  Wow nice to make a bunch of 2nd Graders sit and wait.  So after waiting about 10 minutes (which is like 10 lifetimes to a 7-8 yr. old) they coming running down the pathway.  They then take us to the place where the kids have planted their radishes, it is a little after 1pm and is completely in the shade, and from the looks of the trees around would probably spend most of the day in the shade.  So she proceeds to tell the kids that she doesn't know why their radishes haven't done very well.  Why are we paying her????  I was getting a little frustrated, and then she was going to take us to something that the kids could eat and as we are walking past some plants sprouting the kids ask what is growing there?  She replies corn to which I turn to Mrs Hefner and say "REALLY DID SHE JUST SAY THAT!"  I am not a master Gardner, but I do know what corn looks like.  AHHHH!  So then she takes us to the mint leaves and that is what the kids get to taste at the garden Really mint, couldn't have tried peas or strawberries, we get mint.  Well she probably wouldn't have been able to find the peas or strawberries, the mint just smelled the strongest!  So then we have to go walk through the hoop house ( I wonder how much that cost?), really we are going to take 2nd graders who have been walking all day and have eaten sugary drinks into a totally hot house!  Two steps in and I felt like I was going to pass out, I can't imagine what the kids felt like.  Many of them said they felt like they were melting.  One last question:  Why does Moab need a hoop house to grow tropical plants?  Don't we have a great climate where we can grow lots of wonderful things????  So glad the government is paying for this and not me!
Payton getting to home base.
Okay now to end on a happy note!  Miss Payton's first tee ball game was a blast to watch, I think I laughed, and clapped and cried on every single play.   On Payton's first time up to bat she hit the ball like a pro and then ran straight to 2nd base.  That's right folks no screwing around with getting out at first, just make a bee line to 2nd.  So they got her straightened out and she ran the bases and when she got to home base she runs in and chucks her hat to the ground.  I don't know what that is all about but it was so dang funny, sometimes, okay most of the time I wonder what the heck is going through that kids' head????    So in tee ball there isn't a winner or a loser, the kids just to bat twice and be in the outfield twice, kind of like two innings, but no outs.  But just so ya'll know the Green Dragons kicked butt, we totally WON. 
Thanks Miss Payton for all the laughs, you truly brighten my day!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Glad to hear there are some fun things to do in MOAB! I keep wondering what every one thinks is so great about this place. Guess I need to go back and have a good experience. Growing up there was good and I have only been back once with my husband and 2 daughters we spent most of the first day we were there in the ER because of Pregnancy complications and that did my husband in. The hospital was so dirty. Really glad you are getting another one!! Maybe someday I'll talk him in to going back. I have caught up with a lot of people on facebook would be fun to see old friends